Monday, November 23, 2009

New Home

Article
News & Record

The decision to move to the Coliseum has attracted attention to the program, brought in television and recruits and the kind of exposure to draw more. The agreement is a five-year deal. This is no experiment. UNCG has its mark on the
building, walls painted in blue and gold, the shield at mid court of the floor and Southern Conference banners hanging from the rafters of a building known for its long basketball history hosting NCAA tournaments: the 1974 Final Four, 21 ACC men's tournaments and the past 10 ACC women's tournaments.

Where UNCG fits into the basketball scene will be determined in years to come, but for the next five years at least, those other events will be held in UNCG's
building.

"This is real," Record said. "People have been talking about it. Faculty members told me this was the first time in 20 years students in class had been talking about going to the basketball game. What we have to do now is build on that."

Pictures
Facebook - UNCG Men's Basketball
UNCG Athletics

It was obvious from the very first second that I stepped out of my car on Friday night that this wasn't just about a basketball game. There were students tailgating in the parking lot. There was a marching band in the Pavilion. There was a "Welcome to the home of the UNCG Spartans" sign that greeted fans coming into the arena. There were televisions all over the place displaying UNCG's logo. Finally, there was that brand new blue & gold floor that we had gotten a glimpse at in last August. This was homecoming, a kick-off party and a festival all rolled in one.

While there plenty of things I liked (I'll list those) and some things I didn't like (I'll list those too), I was really impressed with all of the effort of everyone involved. I thought it all came out looking quite spectacular.

- The player introduction was awesome. It's the one thing I was hoping they would definitely use and it was even better than I had hoped. I really want every potential recruit to see that intro.
- All of the UNCG signage was great. obviously, the entrance sign was the one that caught my eye. However, there really were UNCG logos everywhere you looked, including the men's room.
- The Spartan Spot looked like a really fun area. Since I have a group of friends coming in town for several games this year, I'm certain I'll end up there at least once. $5 tickets and 2 bars just can't be beat.
- Tailgating looked like a blast. I just brought some Zaxby's because I was running behind (I even forgot the beer). However, the students looked like they were having a great time. It looked very reminiscent of tailgates that you'd see for football games. Which is something our students don't get to enjoy. So, I'm glad basketball can take the place of that for UNCG students.


There were a bunch of other things that really enjoyed that I'm sure I'm leaving out. However, there were 2 things that I was not so keen on.

- The student section being in the corner while 2 sections at mid court were almost empty. I watched the game off my DVR when I got home and still thought it looked ridiculous. Why wouldn't you want there to be 2 full sections of people wearing blue & gold for the TV cameras? It would make the arena seem louder for the television audience. Also, it would be a great incentive for students to get in line and get their tickets early.
- Leaving the coliseum was ridiculous. There has got to be a better way out of there than the way I went. I sat in traffic for 30 minutes to get out of the parking lot because all of the students and season ticket holders all are in one lot that has one entrance/exit. But there was no security personnel or cop there to stop traffic and allow the lots to empty. Instead, you had to fight your way out once you got to the exit. Plus, I didn't even want to go out that way. I needed to go towards Patterson to get on I-40. when I finally worked my way back around to where I needed to go, those exits were completely empty. It was just an irritating hassle that I really hope they get worked out for the next game.


Again, theses are really the only things that happened that I didn't like. All-in-all, it was an absolutely great experience. I'll continue to encourage all of my friends to make a trip over to see some games. I hope that everyone else will do the same.


I'd love to hear your thoughts on what you did or did not like about the Friday night coliseum experience. So, feel free to comment away.

2 comments:

DTB-56 said...

With you on both counts. The students being in the corner might make sense if you were going to sell out every night and would lose higher priced seats, but I don't see either being the case. By the time conference play rolls around it will make even less sense.

As for the parking, I suspect the Coliseum is trying to keep the parking for separate events booked on the same night in different parts of the lot. However, tonight (ECU) I just went ahead and parked on the other side and was out in 5 minutes.

You are "encouraged" to park in the lot with the students and other season ticket holders, but you can get in with the ticket at any gate. I'd go along with the recommendation but for the fact they turned our parking into a cattle pin with no post game traffic control. Won't go through that again.

Where do you stand on the in game contests and guy in the clown wig? The tee-shirt tosses are OK, the rest I could live without. OK for minor league baseball, seems out of place for college basketball.

How about the band? They sound great.

Dash said...

I'm guessing the Students location must be a coliseum decision. No team on our schedule will fill that middle section up, though. So, I guess it will continue to just look dumb.

Thanks for the info on the parking lots. I won't park in the season pass lot again unless I plan on tailgating. It just makes no sense for me considering the direction that I want to go when I leave. They did have an attendant at the season pass exit after the ECU game. Unfortunately, the guy just sat there and watched us all try to get out. My wife give him some "constructive" critisism as we pulled out.

As far as the MC with the wig ... I don't really care. He doesn't bother me and the kids I sit around seem to like him. Guess you've got to have a little bit of something for everybody. Both halftime acts have been very entertaining, though. I think everyone understands that the basketball alone isn't going to bring unaffiliated patrons back (at least not yet). Gotta make it all interesting.