Thursday, December 26, 2013

Scanning the SoCon Week #8

Scanning the SoCon - Week #8 (Part 1) (Part 2)

Power Rankings
1. Davidson
2. Western Carolina
3. Elon
4. UNCG
5. Ga Southern
6. Wofford
7. UTC
8. Furman
9. Samford
10. Citadel
11. App State

Player of the Week
Brian Sullivan

Game of the Week
Citadel @ College of Charleston

Player of the Year to date?
Lucas Troutman (Elon)

Player of the Year to date?
Brian White (Citadel)

Coach of the Year to date?
Bob McKillop

Why are you voting for who you are voting for in Player of the Year?
I really had a tough time picking the Player of the Year at this point. I thought Troutman, Croone, Cain, Mason and Sumler all have a case to be picked at this point. Since the best player for Daidson hasn't been available for the last few weeks, I decided to go with Troutman instead. But I think there are many other candidates and I think De'Mon Brooks will be involved in the conversation by the end.

Which team has been the most pleasant surprise? Why?
I'm going to be biased here and pick my own UNCG Spartans as the biggest surprise. This team is so young and lost almost every single contributor. Yet they sit at 6-7 at this point with 3 wins versus D1 opponents. I really had low expectations for this team in the preseason and they have so far been a bit on the surprising side for me.

Which team has been the biggest disappointment? Why?
Easily, the most disappointing team for me is Samford. I thought with Rajon Kelly and Tim Williams that this team could be one of the top 3 teams in the conference. At this point, it's hard not to put them in the bottom 3 in the conference ranking. Luckily for the Bulldogs, the real basketball season doesn't start until January. Wins at that point, will eliminate all of the disappointment from the out of conference portion of their schedule

Outside of Davidson, Elon and Western Carolina, who is most likely to improve the most between now and March? Why?
I think outside of those 3 teams, the best coach left is Mike Young at Wofford. So, I will pick the Terriers as the most likely to improve.

If you had to pick right now, which two teams do you think would make the SoCon Championship Game and who would win? Why?
Kind of tough not to go with the 2 teams that I think are the best in the league at this point. So, I'll pick Davidson & Western Carolina. However, I think this league is as close as it has been in a long time from top to bottom.

0 comments: