Saturday, November 14, 2009

Spartans fall at #9 Duke

UNCG 62 - Duke 96

News & Record
Durham Herald
UNCG Athletics
Duke Athletics

Box score

I've decided to do the post game articles a little different this year. I think my "good, bad & ugly" approach last year was a little too pessimistic. This season, I'll go with "positives & negatives".

The score was lopsided on Friday, but UNCG played well against probably the best team they'll see all year. Not to mention playing a lot of young guys in a very hostile environment.

Before I get on to my thoughts on the game, I want to tell everyone to go check out Chancellor Brady's twitter page. Her in game commentary was awesome.

Positives
- Ben was Ben --- Ben Stywall (19 points & 8 rebs) did what he always does. He scored in a lot of different ways and seemed to be around every rebound in the second half.
-Guard play --- The first time I saw one of UNCG's guards penetrate to the basket, I nearly fell over. It happened more times against Duke than it did all of last year. I thought all of the guards did some good things.
- Poise in a tough environment --- Being down 21 point at the half, UNCG could have really mailed it in for the second half. Instead they came out and fought hard. There were times that last season's squad seemed disinterested after they got down. With the hard OOC schedule that this team has, I really hope they can continue showing this kind of resiliency.
- Freshmen --- Randall, KVD and Cole all had some very good moments and showed why they were well thought of by various recruiting services.

Negatives
- We couldn't get taller during the game --- Obviously, I'm joking here. However, Duke's size really beat up the Spartans. Even when forced into tough/bad shots, the Blue Devils would be waiting for second chance points.
- Bad turnovers early --- Early in the game UNCG made some bad passes that led to easy Duke points. When playing good teams, the Spartans have got to make them work for all of their points.

Hopefully, UNCG can take it's positives and put up a better fight on Tuesday in Blacksburg. Go Spartans !!!

0 comments: